Q: Check engine light code P1445

The P1445 code tells me that the secondary air injection system switching valve stuck close Bank 2. My question is how critical is it to repair this and is this considered a regular maintenance item. The estimate to repair is around $2100. Not sure if it is advisable to spend that much money on a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles. What is your opinion Thanks Warren Kirkby .

Hi Kirby. The P1445 OBD-II trouble code typically indicates an issue with the secondary air injection system; which is an emission system that pumps fresh air into the exhaust system. The pump and air intake for the system is located under the intake manifold; which is a major reason for excessive repair cost. Sand, dust, dirt, and even small bugs can find there way into the pump and the result is a failure with the check engine light on. The good news is that this component is designed to monitor emissions only; and doesn’t typically change or impact other components on your Toyota. I wouldn’t spend the money on repairing this code; as my rule of thumb is that if any repair is more than 50% of the overall value of the vehicle; you’re often better off buying a newer vehicle.

3. Check engine light code P1445