Q: Check engine light

I was driving home, and I was going 40. Then I stepped on it and got up to 70, and then the car fell on its face, and the check engine light came on. Now I do know the change oil message has been on for awhile. What exactly happened?

Hi There, It sounds like this may be something related to a fuel issue by what you are describing relative to the car losing power as you pressed on the gas pedal. Your check engine light may come on for many different reasons such as a faulty mass air flow sensor, a faulty O2 sensor, a bad catalytic converter, bad spark plugs or wires and many other reasons. Due to the wide range of possibilities for the check engine light to come on, the best and most efficient way to narrow down the scope of what may be causing this is to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanning tool to download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the computer. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your check engine light to come on.

3. Check engine light