Q: Check Engine code 0024

The Check Engine Light goes on and on. The code for the error is 0024, camshaft position sensor.

There are quite a few things that can cause this. Your car has variable valve timing; a complex system in which to change the cam timing. It uses oil pressure to advance or retard the timing. The oil pressure is regulated by a solenoid that is computer-controlled. The oil going through the solenoid travels to a “phaser” that is bolted to the camshaft. The system uses sensors, like the camshaft sensor, to determine whether the timing commanded by the computer is the actual timing. A fault with any one of these parts can cause the timing to be incorrect.

The first thing to check is the engine oil and filter: Check the oil level, make sure the proper weight was used, make sure a quality filter was used and that the related o-rings were changed. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, run a diagnostic inspection on the cause of your Engine Light, and recommend the best path to repair.