Q: Check Engine code 0024

asked by on February 22, 2016

The Check Engine Light goes on and on. The code for the error is 0024, camshaft position sensor.

There are quite a few things that can cause this. Your car has variable valve timing; a complex system in which to change the cam timing. It uses oil pressure to advance or retard the timing. The oil pressure is regulated by a solenoid that is computer-controlled. The oil going through the solenoid travels to a “phaser” that is bolted to the camshaft. The system uses sensors, like the camshaft sensor, to determine whether the timing commanded by the computer is the actual timing. A fault with any one of these parts can cause the timing to be incorrect.

The first thing to check is the engine oil and filter: Check the oil level, make sure the proper weight was used, make sure a quality filter was used and that the related o-rings were changed. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, run a diagnostic inspection on the cause of your Engine Light, and recommend the best path to repair.