Q: Check engine and ABS light came on then went away

When driving the car yesterday 9/10/17 the and light would blink really quickly then disappear. It happened several times per the trip back home. Today it has still done the same thing however the check engine light came on for about half a mile them went away. Once the ABS light went on again the check engine light came on too. I bought the car used at 53k miles and the car dis sit a while. I've had brake lines changed and the brake fluid is full. I believe a wheel speed sensor might be faulty or dirty however I am worried when it comes to the check engine light. Is there any reason why they would both come on together?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Battery issues cause malfunctions with all of the systems that use its power to function. Most commonly, the charging system light, check engine light, and ABS light come on when there is an issue with the battery, alternator, or cables. You will want to start by making sure the cables are clean, dry, and tight. After that have your battery and alternator checked. You will also want to pull the diagnostic troubleshooting codes that save when your check engine light comes on. These will help tell you what the computer thinks is wrong. All of these tests can be done for free at most automotive parts stores. If you need more help with diagnostics or repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Check engine and ABS light came on then went away