Q: Clutch pedal won't compress

asked by on July 22, 2017

I am taking care of my friends Golf whilst she is away, moving it once a week or so. I moved it yesterday with no problem but, when I decided to move it again a few minutes later, the clutch pedal was rock hard, it'll barely move at inch! Obviously this means that I can't turn the car on also. The gear stick is in neutral and the brake pedal works just fine. The car has over 200,000 miles and (I think) it is about 12 years old.

Do you know why this has happened and what it would take to fix it? Also, is it my fault?! Did I break it or I am just unlucky enough that it broke when I tried to turn it on? Please help!

Hi there. It is highly unlikely that you broke the clutch on your friends car, although it will always be assumed that since you were the only one who drove it - it must have been you. The reality is that a clutch issue like this can be caused my multiple component failure, ranging from a restriction within the clutch system, to a damaged interior component. With 200,000 miles on the vehicle, if clutch service has not yet been completed, it’s more than likely you had nothing to do with this. I would call your friend to let them know what happened. If they want to have it fixed, you can contact one of our mobile mechanics to complete a clutch not working inspection, so we can determine what is causing this issue and what repairs will be required to fix.