Q: Changing spark plug or ignition coils

Was told today by repair shop that I need spark plug or ignition coils replaced. Service person recommended doing spark plugs first but I only have 46000 on my car and from what I have been reading spark plugs are changed at 60,000. He also states that the ignition coil were covered under my maxcare warranty but I would have to wait for check engine light to come on before warranty would cover coils. What should I do??

Changing spark plugs at 46000 isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but mostly I say that because it will keep them from seizing to the cylinder head. Most late model cars like yours can run a set of plugs for longer than that. As for the coils, If the car is not misfiring, I don’t see why you would want to change them and neither does the maxcare company. If the car IS misfiring, then the check engine light will come on and it will set misfire codes. So I don’t see why it would be necessary to do it just yet. If you want to get a third opinion on that, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your BMW and tell you just what it needs.

3. Changing spark plug or ignition coils