Q: Changed head gasket car won't start.

Ok I bought this car with a blown head gasket. Previous owner said it got hot and shut off. I changed head gasket, checked all valves for proper operation, checked fuel system, checked for spark, all are within tolerance. Double checked that I had the head gasket and head seated well. I used the proper torque sequence for the heads and rockers. Now the car will not start. It cranks fine and I hear compression, but it will not catch and start.

A: Hi there: In most cases when a cylinder he...

Hi there:

In most cases when a cylinder head gasket has been pushed due to overheating, it can cause additional damage to valve train hardware; most of the time problems with valve guides. However, if you've double checked all hardware; you might want to look into the ignition system; perhaps the crankshaft position sensor is damaged (which happens most of the time during an overheating issue). If you can't find the source of your issues, feel free to contact one of our local mobile mechanics and have them complete a car will not start inspection; so they can help you diagnose the problem.