Q: Carburetor burning rich

The carburetor is burning rich. And I also need electrical service.

A: Your carburetor may just need to be setup a...

Your carburetor may just need to be setup again, or possibly rebuilt. Your carburetor is probably a Rochester Quadrajet. The plastic float Rochester uses can crack, and therefore, never rise with the fuel level in the bowl, causing too much fuel to be supplied. Rebuild kits generally do not come with floats, so if a rebuild is deemed necessary, a brass float may want to be purchased as well. Now, the only possible issue with rebuilding an old carburetor is that the bushings from all the moving parts - such as the rod for the throttle plate that goes through the carburetor housing - can be worn, unmetered air can enter under vacuum, and carburetor efficiency can be affected.

That being said, a new replacement carburetor may be the best route to go. You may want to enlist the assistance of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can recommend the proper course of action for the carburetor, whether it’s a rebuild, or replacement.

As far as the scope of the electrical service, it is hard to speculate without specific issues being listed. Again you may want to enlist the help of mechanic to assist in the diagnosis of the electrical issues.