Q: Car wont start or turn over. battery is working fine and all electronics work. starter is working too. just not with the key

asked by on October 22, 2017

key in ignition car wont turn over or start. no clicking sound. all electronics are working inside the car. had something look at it, they tested the starter and it worked fine just wont start the car. warnings on my dash come up saying starting system fault. all fuses were working fine. he suggested it might be my key?

It sounds like what you are describing may be related to a faulty starter relay or some faulty wiring that may not be producing a proper connection to the starter. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. When this is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr