Q: Car won’t start. New fuel pump, fuel pump relay and battery. What could be the issue causing my car not to start?

asked by on March 15, 2018

Recently I was driving to a shopping center. Was trying to step on the gas to keep up with traffic as I noticed I began to slow down, car kept going slower instead of faster. Pulled into a parking lot as car wouldn’t drive anymore and parked. Car didn’t overheat and had half a tank of gas. Tried to turn on my car and it would turn on for a matter of a few seconds and then turn off, while lights stayed on on dashboard. Tried again a few times same thing. Got car towed home. Replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay. Car won’t turn on at all now except for dashboard lights, etc. Replaced battery. Tested fuel pump location with a circuit tester and there is current there. Checked timing belt and spark plugs and they seem to be fine. What could be the issue here? -Thank you!

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Giselle. Thanks for contacting us tonight. To be honest, this is rather confusing. In most cases, when a vehicle progressively slows down, stalls and will not start again, it’s a fuel delivery problem. However, if your engine will not even turn over, it’s possible that you’ve experienced internal engine failure of some sort, have a damaged ignition relay or even a damaged alternator. The best advice I can offer is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can isolate the source of your issues and recommend the right repairs.