Q: Car hesitates and jerks at low speeds

asked by on June 23, 2016

Even though I’m using top grade gasoline, I have noticed that my car is having a hesitation before kicking into gear. It does this especially when I first start driving. There is a jerking when I’m going very slowly. There is also a hesitation after pressing on the gas pedal - not good. To summarize, it hesitates and jerks under around 10 mph, but once I’m going, it drives just fine. It’s only as low speeds when the hesitation and jerking happen. I would like your professional assessment of this problem before I go to a mechanic. Thank you.

Hi there. There are some common issues that can cause this. I usually start by checking to see if the car needs a tune up. Worn out spark plugs can cause this. I usually also check the air filter and replace it if it is dirty. A dirty throttle body can also cause this. In some cases a diagnostic computer needs to be installed to see if the air flow sensor and fuel ratios are correct. A dirty air flow meter will also cause this. If you want to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s hesitation.