Q: Hissing noise from bottom right side when accelarating

asked by on December 08, 2016

Vehicle makes a hissing noise around 1500 rpm when accelerating. Noise comes and goes. Only sounds while driving not while idiling.

This may be a sign of a vacuum leak. High idle speed, stalling and hissing sounds are common signs of a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present in an engine, this causes an excessive imbalance in the air/fuel ratio which creates a loss of power and causes the motor to run at a much higher RPM as a result of the increased oxygen present in the fuel charge being injected into the motor. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vacuum leak as these can be very difficult and time consuming to trace.