Q: Car won't start back up after driving 20mins to an hour

asked by on July 27, 2016

Whenever I drive my car for about 20 mins to a hour. After I shut the car off and if I come back outside to turn it on in about 10 or 20 mins and I turn the key in the ignition everything starts up except the engine unless I wiggle the shifter a few times or wait serval hours then the car will start up normally. Do you possibly have idea what this could be?

Neutral Safety Switch Replacement $94.98 - $1035.92 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If you have to wiggle the shifter in order to get the engine to crank, then you may have a problem with the neutral safety switch on the transmission. The switch on the transmission has to be in park or neutral in order to crank the engine. Have the switch checked using a scanner to see if the switch is working or is out of adjustment. It may need to be replaced. Have your starting problem inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.