Q: Car won't shift into second and has transmission fluid leaking. Transmission is a 200R4.

Before having the engine replaced the car shift perfectly fine but now after having a new engine in the car won't shift into second unless you , work your foot on the gas & pull it to low gear the rpm be sounding like it's going up I don't have an rpm gage in my car so I don't keep flooring it when I hear the the Reving of the engine the transmission fuild be leaking . I just need a answer to these problems do I need new trans or rebuild or would it be the linkage ?? Let me know

Hello, this sounds like a problem with the governor, perhaps the governor spring to be specific. If the spring breaks, it will not allow the 1-2 shift. The fluid leak is likely not a big deal on its own - leaking pan gasket or seal.

As to whether the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced, that is dependent on whether clutches are slipping, or shifts "solid", proper functioning of up-shifting (clearly a problem there), and downshifting, etc. I would recommend having a reputable transmission shop run full diagnostics to determine if a major overhaul/replacement is in order.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, have one of our mobile technicians properly diagnose your shifting issue firsthand.

• Car won't shift into second and has transmission fluid leaking. Transmission is a 200R4.