Q: Car will not start

I recently replaced the radiator, a hose to the engine, the timing belt, the water pump, and the coolant chamber on my car. Shortly after I replaced the battery, starter and fuel pump. The car still will not run. When you turn the key it wants to start up, but it will not catch. The engine will not turn over. It makes the noise like the engine is trying to start but it does not, so I know it's not the alternator.

There are a lot of recently changed parts, so my first thought is to ask when the no start issue occurred. Was it before changing out all these parts? Did it start before doing the timing belt and water pump? If the old timing belt broke, it would have damaged the engine valves and that’s why the engine isn’t starting. If it wasn’t until after this work that the car didn’t start, the belt could have been put on wrong, which would cause it to not start as well. If the vehicle was ever overheated it could have a damaged head gasket, which could cause of loss of compression and no start. I would suggest having the starting problem diagnosed by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Car will not start