Q: Car turned on but wouldn't turn off

It also appears that the theft system has activated. How do we deactivate this.turned car on but wouldn't go into gear. Now won't turn off. Had to disconnect from under the hood key Locked in run position gear locked in park

Two possibilities are the ignition switch/tumbler or the shifter interlock. You should hear the interlock move when you apply the brake pedal. If you hear no movement of the interlock when you press the brake pedal and the shifter button can’t be pressed, then the interlock is defective or out of adjustment. If the key turns to the OFF position but the car does not shut off, then most likely the ignition switch and lock tumbler need replacement. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and replace your ignition switch and or tumbler.

3. Car turned on but wouldn't turn off