Q: There’s a big lag with the throttle

Either right after stopping or right after hard braking, my 2013 Mazda CX-5 will lag for a second or two before power is delivered. Not sure if it’s an engine problem or an automatic transmission problem. How does this happen to a car with 8,000 miles on it? This has to be a defect unless it’s some weird feature that I can turn off in the computer or something. What should I do to diagnose this?

Hello, being a drivability issue it will require some diagnosis with a technician. If you can demonstrate it to the technician it would aid in diagnosis. It sounds like you might have low fluid level based on how you say it occurs. The car would need to be scanned for codes and if any are present it will give the technician a direction to go in. Without codes it’s a bit more difficult. After checking for codes the transmission fluid level should be checked to make sure it’s full. If that all checks out then Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 05-002/15) might apply to perform checks to the valve body of the transmission and perform a flushing procedure.