Q: Car stalling and ticking

The muffler is off the car, and now it's stalling and ticking. It's possibly the catalytic converter. It also needs a tune up.

Hello. Misfires are the most common reason why catalytic converters fail prematurely. The raw unburned fuel is pumped into the exhaust and destroys the inside of the converter. If your car is misfiring, I suggest seeking help form a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the misfiring issue before replacing the catalytic converter. A catalytic converter can be checked using a back pressure tester once the misfire is fixed to determine if it needs replacing.