Q: Car stalled

My car stalled after i drove through water. I immediately tried to crank it because i was in the middle of the street. It wouldn't start so i sat there a minute then it cranked followed by this loud noise. I drove home didn't crank it till a day later still the same but if it's running for about 3 minutes the noise calms a little. Drove it for the first time today and it drives fine got the oil changed but the noise is still there....HELP

A: Any time a car’s engine sucks in water risk...

Any time a car’s engine sucks in water risk a chance of getting the water into the piston area and, in a worst case scenario, possibly bending engine piston rods. At the very least you will get water into the air filter and a little water into the engine that can cause a stall.

The water can also break up any hardened carbon deposits that may get on the valves over time. The water will break these loose which can cause rattles in the engine until it has passed through the engine.

You should have the vehicle checked by a mechanic to see if you have a mechanical problem that requires services. Running a car through water is never good for the motor or its components. Water cannot be compressed without bending the piston rods. This happening would destroy the motor in most cases.

If you’d like to get this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose the noise you’re hearing and help you make any necessary repairs.