Q: Car squeaking when first starting

When I start the car, I hear a squeaking noise. After driving for a while, the noise goes away. After letting the car sit overnight, I hear the noise again upon starting it the next day.

A: If your car is squeaking on cold starts, th...

If your car is squeaking on cold starts, then that is a sign that there may be a problem with one or more of the engine’s belts, or pulleys. If a belt becomes excessively worn, it will eventually begin to slip, and produce a screeching noise that will get louder over time. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the belts, and if necessary, the pulleys, to determine what is causing the sound.