Automatic transmission shifting at high rpm honda civic 1...

Q: Automatic transmission shifting at high rpm

asked by on October 30, 2017

My 1999 Honda Civic will sometimes shift between 4 and 5000 RPM. Up until about 2nd gear, it will shift at 3000 RPM, but once I start reaching speeds at 40-60mph the transmission wont shift until 4 or 5 RPM, i haven’t tried traveling at higher speeds as a precaution. The car itself runs good. No other problems with anything else. Ive already changed the transmisson fluid, but so far no improvement. What could the problem be?

Did you change the transmission filter? If the filter is blocked, that can degrade hydraulic pressure and cause these symptoms. Another cause is malfunctions in electronic controls including the throttle position sensor. The shift solenoids, and shift valving (in the transmission valve) body are also common faults when it comes to delayed shifts, no shift and harsh downshifting. To identify the root cause of this problem, the recommended service is a failure to shift diagnostic. Once that diagnostic is complete, the mechanic will explain the repair strategy to you in detail and estimate the cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.