Q: Why does my car shut off right as I am parking and it runs rough 2000 Nissan Altima

asked by on April 09, 2017

Sometimes my car shuts off right when I'm about to park. When accelerating from a stop it is Shakey until about 45mph. Rough idle and feels like it wants to shut off at stop lights but doesn't. Car starts up just fine. Highway speeds are normal.

Hi there. It sounds like you either have some sort of vacuum leak or possibly an engine misfire. I usually start by checking to see if the check engine light is on and if it is then I scan the computer for codes. That will give me a good idea of where to stat my diagnosis. If there are cylinder misfires then there is a good chance that it may need a tune up or have a bad ignition coil. Both will cause this. If there are no misfire codes or other codes then I would look for a vacuum leak. It may be in one of the hoses or gaskets and that will cause this. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the engine is running rough and stalling] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-idle-is-rough-inspection