Q: Car shut off while driving

asked by on December 31, 2016

I was driving normally. The car wouldn't let me go any faster. All the lights on the dashed turned on. I shut off the car, then tried to turn on, it turned over, but wouldn't start, now it only makes a clicking noise when I try to start it. The lights are dim now when I open door & doent make a bleeping noise like normal. I wouldn't say the car shut off, because all lights were still on. Could it be the battery?

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like a weak or dead battery. The clicking noise when trying to start the car is a common indicator that the battery does not have enough power to turn the engine over. You may also want to have your alternator tested as well as this is the primary source for the battery being charged. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.