Q: Car shaking vibrating - 2008 Mercedes-Benz E350

asked by on October 11, 2016

Car shaking/vibrating slightly when idle or standing at traffic light. Initially it happened only when car was idle or it was turned on, gear was in parking mode. But now it occurs even in driving mode but only when standing at a red traffic light. It feels almost like a spark is happening inside the engine or something. Vibration can be felt in steering but more prononuced in car seat. It occurs more frequently now. My car has 110000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

NEW Q: MY CAR TAKES LITTLE TIME FOR PICK UP? DOES THIS GO WITH THIS PROBLEM?

ANS: This sounds like potentially a faili... THANK JEFF Hello. This sounds like potentially a failing idle air control valve or potentially a misfire. The idle air control valve regulates the air intake into the engine as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. When this is not working properly, this can cause the engine to starve for fuel which can trigger the car to misfire or simply run very rough at idl

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Spark Plugs Replacement $96.63 - $636.71 Get a Quote
Ignition Cable (Spark plug wires) Replacement $108.29 - $457.90 Get a Quote

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing some sort of engine performance issue that is also causing vibrations. If there are issues with the engine that cause misfires, the vehicle may experience a loss of power, acceleration, and fuel economy issues. In some cases the issues may also cause vibrations if they disrupt the engine idle enough, and in more severe cases, can even cause stalling. If the Check Engine Light is on I would recommend scanning the computer for trouble codes, as they will likely reveal some insight on what the issue may be. Otherwise, I would recommend having a professional technician diagnose the shaking and vibrating issues and let you know what repairs are needed.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The engine is having a misfire during operation at all times, but it is only being felt at the idle position. You have two symptoms that are occurring at the same time. The idle air control valve could be not working correctly or the engine could be having a misfire due to a faulty spark plug or a bad spark plug wire. Check the plugs and wires on the engine and make sure that they are okay and serviceable. I would recommend replacing the idle air control valve is the engine passes all checks for the ignition system. If you need assistance troubleshooting this process, have a professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the shaking and vibrating problem so that this can be corrected.