Q: Car shakes when put in park

I have a high-mileage car with close to 300,000 miles on the odometer. The problem started occurring a couple of months ago. I was at the traffic light, and the car started to shake. This stopped happening for a while. However, this occurred again several days ago and after I opened the hood, I found the engine to be shaking badly. At that moment, the car was put in park. Two days ago, there was some smoking from under the hood. I had the coolant leaked out. I took it to a mechanic and he had the thermostat, oxygen sensor, fuel filter, radiator cap and the water pump replaced, and changed the coolant and tranny fluid. The car is running well now but it hasn't stopped shaking. What might be causing this?

A: You should start by checking for a failed h...

You should start by checking for a failed head gasket. With the overheating and coolant loss you describe, followed by very rough running suggests one or more cylinders have lost compression, causing the engine to shake. It’s also worth having the motor mounts checked, given the high mileage on your vehicle. If you need a diagnosis, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shaking issue and pinpoint the problem.