Car shakes in idle and reverse mustang 1966 v8-4.7l ford

Q: Car shakes in idle and reverse

asked by on November 06, 2017

My 1966 mustang has driven pretty well for the 2 years I have had it. Recently I changed the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. A few days later I noticed when I would put the car in reverse i could feel something was off. It seemed to be running rough and would shake. I only notice it when in park and reverse. I changed the motor mounts and the harmonic balancer. The issue is still present. When in drive everything feels ok and it shifts through the gears just fine. I also changed the spark plugs as they needed it but that has not resolved the issue. Had a mobile mechanic come look at it and pretty much wasted an HR of time and found nothing and cost me nearly $200. Any ideas?

Hi Cyrel. Thanks for contacting us today. To be honest, there could be multiple issues going on here. It’s more than likely that you have a loose or damaged vacuum line or your ignition timing is off. A damaged torque converter (on an automatic transmission powered vehicle), could cause this type of vibration. I would recommend an onsite inspection, but since it was a waste of your time and money, you might want to consult with a local mechanic or Ford performance expert.