Q: Squeaking noise in brake pedal

First, there was a squeaking sound when I pressed on the brake pedal and the stopping distance increased. I went to the dealership, but they couldn’t find the problem. But they did grind the brake pad edges to reduce the squeaking. They also recommended chamfering the brake pads to alleviate the squeaking. My SUV was also low on gas. Can you give me suggestions to what I should do to fix this problem?

A: If your brakes are squeaking, this can be c...

If your brakes are squeaking, this can be caused by a number of different things. The brake rotors could have a surface finish that no longer promotes quiet braking. The brake rotors should have a criss-cross looking surface finish to promote quiet braking.

The brake rotors could also be very dirty with brake dust or have low spots which will cause a squeaking sound when the pads pass by that spot, much like blowing across the top of a glass bottle.

The brake pads may also be the cause of the squeak issue as the surface finish of the pads is equally important to the rotor finish. Finally, if the caliper slide pins are not lubricated properly, this may also cause a squeak noise.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the brake system noise in order to have the appropriate repairs done.