Q: Car shakes at 40-6- mph and brakes squeak

When I apply the brakes while going between 40-60 mph, my car starts to badly shake. I have been to the dealership twice due to this problem. The first trip, the brakes were changed. The second visit, there was a bubble in my tire, so it was replaced and they also performed a balance and alignment. I have to drive on the highway 5 days a week and the shaking problem persists. Even having new tires, balance, and an alignment, it still shakes when I press on the brakes. There is a hard vibration when I brake and a squeaking when going in reverse. I went to the dealership again for the same thing--it is not fixed. What is your diagnosis and how can I get this fixed?

Many different things can cause a vibration at speeds. The most common causes of this would be warped brake rotors, a damaged suspension component, or tire that is damaged or out of balance. It is possible for this fault to be other items than what has already been replaced.

A tire with a bubble could very well cause a vibration though if the problem remained after then it was not the cause. The brake rotors are normally the root cause, if only the pads were changed and the rotors were not resurfaced or replaced the fault could still be present.

A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the shaking you’re experiencing and perform any repairs required.