Q: Anti-theft system kicks in when starting and says car might not restart

asked by on October 28, 2016

When starting car, runs for sec and dash says, "anti-theft system problem, car might not restart". It starts, but runs for 2 seconds. If I don't realize that it is set when turning car off, it drains the battery. How can I turn this off when I realize that it engages??

Hi there. If the anti-theft system is acting up when the vehicle is started then it thinks that it is being stolen. If the correct key is being used and if you have a spare key to try that is doing the same thing than you have an issue with the anti-theft module. This is a common problem on this vehicle. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to just turn this off. It can only be bypassed with a bypass kit that is sold online, unless you have the system repaired properly. It is typically most cost effective to bypass it.