Q: Car sat for years, trouble starting - 1971 Nissan 240Z

asked by on September 28, 2016

My car has been sitting for several years now and I would like to restore it and drive again. I first had the spark plugs replaced. Then I had all the electrical connections cleaned. Also, I added oil to cylinders. It has difficulty starting. I attempted to jump-start it with my other car and it has power. The lights come on, the engine gives some sounds but it can't fully start. What might be causing this?

Hello. It sounds like the fuel pump is bad or the fuel filter is clogged. It is also possible that there is a lot of water in your fuel system. Dry gas or sea foam will need to be used to remove water from the fuel system. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your fuel system to pinpoint your problem and make the necessary repair.