Q: Code coming up is P0496. I never had any problems til I tried to drive up a steep hill.

asked by on February 11, 2018

Tried going on a trip til 3 hrs out when I tried going up a steep hill. My foot floored the gas but didn't help. It didn't incline in speed or declined. I'm going an alternate route soon and wondering if it would still give me problems? Round trip would be between a thousand to twelve hundred miles.

The trouble code P0496 refers to a fault in the vehicle’s evaporative emissions (EVAP) control system. Faults in the EVAP system will not typically cause loss of power. Perhaps other codes were stored but were missed in downloading that one code. To resolve the P0496 code, a diagnostic would involve testing the purge or vent solenoid/valve, EVAP canister, EVAP/fuel pressure sensor, electrical connections, canister purge valve, and vent solenoid. Any of the foregoing components, if faulty, could explain why the code set. To have both this code and the loss of power problem resolved, the recommended service to request is an engine loss of power diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get these issues diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.