Q: 2012 VW Touareg

I am looking to purchase a 2012 Touareg with 42k miles. Currently I have a Honda Pilot. I know maintenance costs will be more w/ the Touareg. Is this a good, reliable car; any specific things to look for before I buy? Was this a good year? Can some of maintenance be DIY?

Hi there. The Touareg is a fun vehicle to have. The downfall of the Touareg is the cost of the maintenance, repairs, and the electrical issues that may ensue. These vehicles will not be as reliable as your current vehicle and expect any repairs to cost about 3 times what they cost with the Pilot.

If you are looking for a vehicle with a lot of power, fun to drive, and handles well then the VW is the way to go if you are willing to accept its flaws as well. I would suggest having a pre-purchase inspection done on the Touareg before you buy it so you have an idea of the car’s overall condition and peace of mind with this investment. Best of luck.

3. 2012 VW Touareg