Q: Car periodically will not start first time

There are times when I cannot start the engine at first start, after about 2 or 3 it will start. Does not happen all the time, just once in a while. When it did not start, I can hear the humming when I was trying to start the engine. Also I noticed that one day weather temperature went down to 40 degree F, it didn't start right away either. New battery and new starter, but been told from friends it might be a bad new starter? No other parts on engine area had been replaced or serviced for a while. Car runs fine otherwise. Car is 2003. Around 105K miles spark plugs were replaced Around 110K miles these were done: Air filter replaced Brake pads replaced Drive belt(s) replaced Exhaust pipe replaced And the usual oil/filter change. Thank you.

A: Hi there. From the description you have giv...

Hi there. From the description you have given, this may be difficult to diagnose being intermittent. I don’t believe this would be a battery or starter issue unless, the engine is turning over slower than it should. Assuming the check engine light is not coming on, leads me to believe the vehicle’s computer is not recognizing a fault. It could be a fuel pump in the beginning stages of failing. A fuel pressure test could, confirm a faulty fuel pump. I recommend having your vehicle’s intermittent hard starting be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic.