Q: Car not shifting out of first. 2002 Mercury Sable

My 2002 mercury sable was leaking trans fluid slowly for a day, when I parked it, it was like it all hit the ground. Jacked the car up to find the leak (had to put more fluid in it) i couldn't find the leak cause, it DIDNT leak anymore!? I did nothing to the car but jack it up to find leak. Any way I thought okay well I'll drive it and see if it leaks again and NOTHING . BUT, it WONT shift out of first gear! I then rented a $200 tool to clear the codes once again NOTHING. I replaced the input speed sensor cause it was broke. STILL NOTHING. So here I am it won't shift out of first and its NOT leaking ANYTHING. I need some ideas on what I can do before running it to a shop, I'm a single mom and can't really afford it right now. :( I also checked all fuses and none of them are bad. I'm stumped why did it gush all fluid out and stop leaking and now won't shift!???????

Hi there - unfortunately, the automatic transmission in your Sable has a known issue for sudden failure due to weakness in the torque converter. The drive lugs for the transmission fluid pressure pump (part of the torque converter) easily shear, then there is no fluid pressure internally to shift gears. I recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.