Q: Things to do when getting smog test at Star station

My daughter has borrowed this car for awhile. She just paid registration fees (over due) but has not gotten the required Star smog test yet. She woke up to find a ticket on car for no registration. She now is panicked and intends to get the smog taken care of hopefully today. If not, tomorrow. She needs to know if she should do anything to prepare for the smog test.

I informed her what I knew, which was make sure the car is good and hot when you take it in and have a full tank of gas. that's the extent of my knowledge. She is inquiring about the different things advertised to put in your gas tank or transmission. Some kind of fluids that claim 100% guarantee you w/pass your smog.

I realize that is bull, but is there ANYthing in which you feel really does matter and actually helps in passing smog?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

II there's ANYone that has the ability to leave advice TODAY, we'd be forever grateful. Thanks so much!

Hi there. The smog test for vehicles of 1996 and newer will pass if the engine light is off and the gas cap passes the sealed test. As long as the gas cap is sealing to the fuel inlet tube and the engine light is off, then the vehicle should pass emissions (the smog test). All vehicles from 1996 to 2005 with OBD 2 computer systems are required to scan the computer and also run the vehicle on the rollers. Before the test, make sure that the engine is hot and there is fresh fuel in the fuel tank. If you need further assistance with having a smog test done, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Things to do when getting smog test at Star station