Q: My car cranks but doesn't turn over

I went to drive my MDX but when I turned the key to start it it just cranks and doesn't turn over. it has a new starter and alternator less then a year ago. What could the issue be?

A: Hi there. First, we need to determine what ...

Hi there. First, we need to determine what is going on. Does it crank and not start? or does the engine not crank/turn over? Cranking and turning over mean the same to technicians. You described it as cranking and not turning over, but it sounds like you meant that it's cranking and not starting. There could be many possible reasons for this, but it depends on if the engine is turning/cranking or if nothing is happening. It could be a battery, no fuel, failed sensors, or a number of things. Before guessing at what could be going on, I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a no-start inspection so that this can be repaired correctly.