Q: I installed a new fuel pump, but the line from the pump to the carb is leaking at the flare fitting on the pump

asked by on March 19, 2017

I installed a new mechanical fuel pump yesterday , and the line from the pump to the carburetor is leaking at the flare fitting connecting the line to the pump outlet.

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The hardest part is done. Locating and noticing the leak is typically where people fail to follow through with their repairs. The flare on the line was likely bent or damaged. They are very sensitive to any kind of misalignment or slight damage. Try to reset the fitting and see if you can align it better. If not, then you will need to replace the line, or if equipped you can re-flare the existing line. Replacing the line is the most foolproof way to make the repair, but a flare set can often be rented from your parts store. The female end on the pump also needs to be inspected to make sure it was not the cause of the damage to the flare. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.