Q: Car not idling properly

asked by on September 29, 2016

My Honda Accord 03 doesn't idle properly. Used to get into Limp Mode until I found out about the oil pressure sensor that was broken. Got that fixed and now trying to accelerate, you feel a drag, sometimes, it looses power and goes off. I have serviced and changed the oil filter, I still have my check light on and also maintenance required permanently on. Before now the Check light goes off if the battery terminal is taken off for few seconds. Now if the same thing is done, immediately the ignition comes on, the check light is back on. Please, what is wrong.

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. This is a common symptom on many cars when what is called a mass airflow sensor is not working properly. This is a unit that monitors air flow intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, this will cause an imbalanced air/fuel charge to be injected into the motor which causes the intermittent drag feeling or stalling.

This may also be related to what is called an idle air control module/valve which is a unit that works similar in that it regulates the air flow intake at lower idle speeds. The same symptoms will occur at idle or lower speeds when this is not working correctly.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.