Q: Car needs a new coolant bypass tube

I think that my car has a cracked coolant bypass tube. It has the GM 3800 Series II engine. Is that something that I could repair by myself?

Ah yes, the infamous 3.8L coolant elbows, located on the tensioner. This is a very common problem, but I would still perform a cooling system pressure test to be certain that the elbows are leaking. This test pressurizes the cooling system to pinpoint the leak location. If, after performing this test, you determine the elbows are leaking, I would recommend having them replaced by a professional. This job involves removing the belt and tensioner to access the elbows. A professional mechanic will be able to find the source of the leak and make the necessary repair.