Q: Car misfires then goes to limp mode.

asked by on March 15, 2017

When the car misfires it will go into limp mode but then will go away after you turn it off and run fine for a few days

Spark Plugs Replacement $98.11 - $669.97 Get a Quote
Fuel Injector Replacement $383.27 - $3870.61 Get a Quote
Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

When the vehicle goes into limp mode when the engine misfires, the computer is shutting down the electronics to the transmission to prevent damage to the catalytic converter as the fuel condition is either too lean or too rich. Check the spark plugs to see if they are firing and if they can produce a strong spark. If the spark plugs are not firing, then they would need replaced or the coils need checked for spark and power to them.

If the spark plugs are working, then check the fuel system and see if they are firing correctly.

A fuel injector could be dirty or leaking causing a lean or rich fuel condition. I suggest putting a fuel injection cleaner in the fuel system and cleaning out the system from buildup and to help with the injectors.

If you need further assistance with your engine misfiring, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr