Q: My car loses power - is my fuel pump bad?

car idles well but in drive looses power when xtra fuel is needed. i changed fuel filter and it didn't resolve the issue

A: The fuel filter was a good first move, and ...

The fuel filter was a good first move, and it could be the fuel pump, but it could also be a pressure regulator, a problem in the air flow meter, or any part of the intake air system. There are a number of other possibilities as well such as a clogged catalyst or contaminated fuel. Changing parts on a car without doing the diagnostic work can become a very expensive way to fix a problem. Only if you are very lucky will you hit on it the first time and not end up buying expensive parts that you don’t need. Before you buy a fuel pump, you want to test the fuel pressure. You can borrow the tools and follow a repair manual, or you can contact a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will send a technician right to your home to test your fuel pressure and perform the other diagnostic work needed to pin down the cause of your trouble.