Car making high-pitched squeal when starting rattling noi...

Q: Car making high-pitched squeal when starting

asked by on February 05, 2016

The car makes a high-pitched squealing when I start it. There is also a slight rattling noise during acceleration, but once I get going, it stops. In addition, the car dies when going too slow in reverse. Once it stalls, sometimes it starts back up, other times it doesn't want to start unless I rev the engine. It also experiences low RPMs when I start it, then it dies. I have already replaced the battery, throttle sensor, and alternator.

Hi there! The squealing sound could be a serpentine belt that has been stretched out, causing it to lose traction against the pulleys on your engine. For this and all of your other symptoms, I would recommend having your vehicle inspected for issues related to the squealing and rattling noises by a certified mobile mechanic. These symptoms could be caused by a number of things including fuel issues, ignition system issues, faulty sensors, vacuum leaks, or a combination of some of these or others. It is important to have the issue looked at from every angle to diagnose it correctly the first time, so you don’t spend extra money throwing pointless parts at your vehicle.

Once a diagnosis has been made and all of the issues have been addressed, I would recommend getting a thorough engine inspection, and have any faulty parts replaced as soon as possible to prevent any further engine damage.