Q: Car makes ticking sounds

asked by on July 19, 2016

Recently my car started making ticking sounds. It seems to be coming from the dash. I cannot be sure of that however. The sound is similar to that of a water drop that hits the car. What could be causing this?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Without being able to hear the noise, it will be hard for me to offer an accurate assessment. A common issue for a ticking or clicking noise from the dash is a faulty climate control stepper motor.

The Mercedes climate control system uses a series of stepper motors to route and control airflow to automatically adjust the climate control system to match the driver’s wish. These motors are in constant adjustment in an attempt to match the cabin temperature and air direction commands of the driver.

Over time, these stepper motors can develop noise or even the motor linkages can develop noise over time. To figure out which stepper motor is at fault, it may be necessary to remove dashboard under panels and such to narrow down the suspect motor. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the expertise and tools necessary to diagnose the noise and replace the suspect stepper motor.