Q: Car loses power while driving 2001 Ford Focus

asked by on November 18, 2016

my 2002 1.6litre Ford Focus loses power after 40-60km of continuous driving especially on a hot day but will occur in any weather. Pressing down on the accelerator threatens to stall the car but once u ease off it regains normal idling. Turning off the car for 5-10 mins will temporarily solve the problem but it is recurring. one mechanic suggests fuel pump change another suggests air flow sensor. I need your proffessional deduction before investing in a decision. Help

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

This issue is commonly caused by three different systems, ignition system, fuel system and the emissions system components including O2 sensors and the EGR Valve. The best way to know for certain and before you spend any money on repairs, you should have a mobile mechanic complete a car is stalling inspection. This will allow them to pinpoint the source of your Focus’ problems and recommend the right repairs.

Hello - I agree with the notion that this is a fuel supply issue. It can be several fuel system components - clogged fuel filter, fuel pump relay with burned contacts (poor conductivity - heats up both the relay and the pump), or a failing fuel pump as suggested. For a loss of power problem like this, I would recommend a thorough fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.