Q: Car just spins over but wont crank 1999 BMW 323i

asked by on February 17, 2017

Alright so i was driving (e46 1999 323i) and car was running hot so i pulled at gas station cut it off and let it cool but when i cranked it all it would do is spin over and over like its not trying to crank but fuel pump is working and car was ran hot before i ever got it . so im asking what could be problem like car was running i shut it off costed it and now it wont crank i had to get it towed home i let it sit all day and tried next morning and nothing. HELP!?

Hello - your failure scenario description suggests a blown headgasket, especially with a history of overheating. I would have the compression checked first, and suspect it will be low on most cylinders. It is also possible that the timing belt failed. I recommend a "not starting" inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to the vehicles location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.