Q: Car is vibrating at high speeds

asked by on December 01, 2016

My car has just recently started to vibrate once I go over high speeds. Mostly around speeds over 60 mph. The vibration is worse in my seat and pedal. Its not so much on the steering wheel. I drive back and forth on the interstate every day going to and from work so I drive over 60 mph every day. The car has always driven smooth until now. I took my car to Walmart yesterday to have them look at the tires. The man said that my back left tire had high and lows and I needed a new one but the others were fine. So they put on a new tire and balanced the tires as well. I asked if I needed an alignment and he said no because the tread wasn't uneven. Unfortunately that only helped the car a little but it is still heavily vibrating once I get over a certain speed. What could it be?

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Poorly maintained tires are the number one reason for vibration over 60MPH. Having them checked was a great idea. Another quick step is to make sure they are all properly inflated at the correct pressure. Each tire differs a little, so check the side wall of the tire for more information. Brakes can also cause a vibration. If the vehicle’s brakes are stuck partially engaged, they will cause extra resistance that will be noticeable at higher speeds. This often comes in the from of a vibration or noise. A brake issue like this would need to be inspected further to determine what is causing it to stick. Double check the tires and then look to the brake system next.