Q: Car is making a squeaking/ rubbing sound upon acceleration and deceleration

asked by on July 31, 2017

Car is making a squeaking/ rubbing noise. It only sounds like this when I take off or start to accelerate and when I slow down or start to come to a stop. It's seems to be coming from the front passenger side. It also makes this noise when in reverse to park or turn right. The car doesn't seem to be running abnormally, there's just noise that shouldn't be there. What could this be?

Hi there. It’s more than likely that your serpentine belt or one of the pulley’s is loose or worn out. Usually this will cause the type of sound you are hearing. However, it’s also possible that a wheel bearing is beginning to wear out or a brake rotor is dragging on the brake pad. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is making a noise inspection, so they can isolate the source of this noise and recommend or complete the right repairs.