Q: Car is lurching at 10 mph after changing the rear differential.

I just finished changing the rear diff in my truck. I pulled the cv axel shafts out removed the knuckles and brakes and disconnected the drive shaft. I then reinstalled everything. When i took it out of the grage and test drove the truckit will start learching at 10 mph. Its all most like something is catching and releaseing. I chacked the brakes they seem to be fine. So i think it might be something installed wrong or i got a bad diff.

Hi there. The symptoms that you are experiencing is that the gear ratios from the front axle and the rear axle are different and causing the vehicle to lurch at low speeds. Take the vehicle off road on a dirt or rocky road and see if the vehicle still lurches. If the symptom goes away, then the gear ratios are different. If your vehicle does not have a 4WD system, then the differential could have a bent axle shaft causing the wheels to rotate fast and slow at the same time. Also, check the driveshaft and make sure that it’s in phase (the yokes are aligned up in a straight line. If the driveshaft is out of phase then the vehicle will lurch at low speeds. If you need further assistance with your vehicle lurching after putting in a rear axle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.