Q: Car has trouble starting when it's cold

asked by on June 13, 2016

I have difficulty starting my car when the temperature is low. It would keep cranking but wouldn't start. After it warms up, it can be started and run great after that. Usually, the issue happens at temperature below 28. Several months ago, I had the temperature sensor replaced but it didn't fix the issue. What should I do? How can I fix the problem?

You may have an issue with your battery. Batteries are measured in cold cranking amps which is the amount of amperage the battery can produce at 0 degrees. If the cold cranking amps of your battery are not up to what they should be, the vehicle may not be able to start in those colder temperatures.

I’d recommend having your battery tested with a digital multimeter to make sure that it has a proper charge. I would also recommend having your cold cranking amps tested which will require a tester made specifically for automotive batteries. If the battery turns out not to have the correct amount of cold cranking amps, battery replacement should resolve your issue.

If you need help with these checks, contact a certified mechanic who can ensure that your battery is operating properly and make any repairs as needed.