Q: Car has developed a knocking sound

My car has 6,000 miles on it and the engine has recently started making a knocking sound. I can it inside the car, and it is very noticeable outside the car as well. I first heard it a few days ago when my son was pulling the car into the garage, and I was standing outside the car. It makes a knocking sound, which reminded me of how a diesel engine sounds. The engine runs smoothly and sounds fine, except when idling. I took it to the dealership, and they heard the noise and didn't know what it was. I left the car there, and they called me the next day and said they have Nissan techline involved. I haven't heard back from them yet. Any ideas what this could be from?

A: Though your vehicle’s mileage is extremely ...

Though your vehicle’s mileage is extremely low to have this sort of issue, the most likely cause is a rod knock from the engine. Generally, this happens when engines run very low on oil or high mileage. The most likely time to have problems with new vehicles is within the first few thousand miles, since this when assembly line issues will begin to surface. If you need a second opinion on the car, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose the car noise and let you know what repairs are appropriate.